Saturday, July 07, 2012

BiNet USA Applauds Frank Ocean's Coming Out



We want to salute rapper Frank Ocean and praise his courage to share his experiences of sexual fluidity. This past Fourth of July, (The perfect day to liberate oneself!) the 24-year-old musician outed himself open letter style on his Tumblr:

"4 summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too. We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the days I’d see him, and his smile. I’d hear his conversation and his silence..until it was time to sleep. Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant, It was hopeless, There was no escaping, no negotiating with the feeling, no choice. It was my first love, it changed my life."

This is a big moment for hip-hop and it's relationship with the LGBT community. He has already received lots of  support from both the hip-hop as well as the LGBT communities, though there are still some mixed reactions to his announcement according to the Washington Post:

"But fans and celebrities alike responded on Twitter and Facebook. Not surprisingly, reactions to Ocean’s statement have been mixed. According to Twitter Counter, a site that tracks statistics for users of the social media network, the singer gained more than 15,000 followers in the day following his Tumblr post.

Rapper Tyler The Creator, who along with Ocean is part of the hip-hop collective Odd Future, voiced his support for Ocean in a (caution: strongly-worded) tweet..." Read more.

We hope that his coming out and the support that he is getting will start a trend in the hip-hop community for more LGBT-acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment