Tuesday, March 26, 2013

2013 Bisexual Fact Sheet


Not all people are bisexual but half of the LGBT community certainly is.

Bisexual men were 50% more likely to live in poverty than gay men, and bisexual women were more than twice as likely to live in poverty as lesbians. - 2011 Bi Invisibility Report

In comparison with lesbian and gays, bisexuals have a higher lifetime prevalence of sexual victimization - CDC
 
Bi men and women are at least one-third less likely to disclose their bisexual identities to their doctors than gay men or lesbians. "Rates of nondisclosure to healthcare providers were significantly higher among bisexual men (39.3 %) and bisexual women (32.6 %) compared with gay men (10 %) and lesbians (12.9 %)." - Journal of Sexuality Research and Social Policy

40% of LGBT People of Color identify as bisexual according to a 2009 Human Rights Campaign Study.

Bi women are almost 6 times more likely than heterosexual women to have seriously considered suicide, and 4 times more likely than lesbians. Bi men are almost 7 times more likely than heterosexual men to have seriously considered suicide, and over 4 times more likely than gay men. - Rainbow Health Ontario, Top Ten Bi Health Issues

Bisexual employees are eight times as likely to be in the closet compared to lesbian and gay counterparts. Only 7 per cent of lesbians and gay men, but 55 per cent of bisexual employees, are not out to anyone at work. - Workplace Equality Index 2010 - Stonewall

From 2008 to 2012 only $5,000 in grants were awarded to bi specific projects or bisexual organizations (out of over $100 million tracked) - 2008-2010, 2010-2012

Between 1970 and 2010 there were 19 total grants for the bisexual population totaling $84,356.  In comparison, Gay Men and Lesbian populations had 4,469 grants totaling $64,644,177 and Transgender/Gender Nonconforming populations received 1,029 grants totaling $16,748,928.  40 years, $84,356 for grants directed at the bisexual population of America. - "40 Years Of LGBT Philanthropy" by LGBTFunders.com
 
DOWNLOAD THE PDF VERSION
At this  time, no major LGBT organizations have bisexual projects, do bi specific outreach, or have bisexual board members. 

Want more data on health disparities for bisexual identified people?  Check out the Healthy Peoples 2020 fact sheet from the National LGBT Tobacco Control Network that covers a decade of bi data!  It reviews epidemiological data reported in behavioral risk studies and needs assessment surveys conducted in the U.S. and published from 2000 to 2010.



 

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:54 PM

    This data is so sad... One that disappoints me the most is that the major LGBT organizations dont have any bisexual projects or bi-specific outreach at this time. I wish I had the money to help change this! We need to make everyone aware of the issues before we can make progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking the same thing as the last commenter: It is sad. It is time bi people accept who they are and come out so that our society can accept them too! And not just the girls; guys too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the read Godless Glen. I'd like to call your attention to something pretty important. All this data refers to bisexual people who identify as bisexual, none of these links refer to closeted straight people. Regarding bisexual women, they have the highest rate of sexual violence and domestic violence in comparison to lesbian and straight women. Bisexual women have also been idealized as sex objects which leads to high numbers of violence and sexual harassment. It's not a matter of us being out as much as it is recognizing we already are and need allies to support us. Mentioning to local and national LGBT orgs "Hey, where's the content or programming for bisexuals" is a great start. For more, come hang out with us online...a 2012 marketing study found that bisexuals use Facebook more than any other social medium. Find us at Facebook.com/groups/binetusa

      Delete
  3. Anonymous4:57 PM

    Hello, I am a girl and I don't idetify as bi simply because I can not picture a monogomus relationship with a girl. I am attracted to girls and I desire them, and I would not even mind a relationship with a girl but I feel that I would not want to be "tied down" to one and I feel hesitant to identify as bi because of this. Sometimes i wonder if maybe i just have really high standards for girls and I tend to only like girls that are straight. I feel conflicted in a way but at the same time I dont feel so conflicted that its over ruling my world. I like identifying as straight because I act like a straight girl mostly and I like to drool over guys with my friends. I worry that if I identified as bi that i would lose that kind of connection and it would be replaced with a sexual tension that is ALWAYS prevalient in any kind of relationship with a guy. I really like having friends that consist of no sexual tension and I am afraid of losing that. I also have never been able to relate to anyone about this... :( Is anyone else out there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:46 PM

      I know how you feel, but from the other side. I'm a forty-something male, and although am not opposed to having a good time sexually with whomever the mood strikes me, and the opportunity is there, I do also identify myself as straight, but consider myself more pansexual. I am not physically attracted to men, I prefer women, as friends and lovers, and if a women happens to have a penis, that's OK also. I guess I prefer femininity over masculinity, no matter the sex. My girlfriend is fine with this, as she is very Bisexual, and also loves to watch me with either a man or a woman, as long as we both are having fun. Glad to see others out there like me, just wish there were more.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:26 PM

      I am a 70 y/0 that can identify with above 40 something and the lady that likes ladies.
      Sex with a guy is good but romance only with a woman so am I bi.

      Delete
  4. Great blog. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:16 PM

    I am a 21 year old woman who identifies as straight, but secretly also likes women. I lost my virginity to a one-night stand with another bisexual woman when I was 19. My parents tend to be very overprotective so I've never been with a man. I'm afraid that if I come out, they won't let me see anyone. That and I'm actually not sure if I am bisexual or pansexual. I have a fantasy about having mind-blowing sex with a very androgynous-looking hermaphrodite, but I've never met such a person. I think that if a person was to ask about my sexual identity and I felt comfortable enough, I would open up as a bisexual who is pan-curious. I wish I could open up.

    ReplyDelete