Thursday, May 05, 2016

Interview with Margaret Cho

Margaret Cho: The BiCast Interview with Lynnette McFadzen


I had the honor to interview Margaret Cho about her new album American Myth. Margaret has been a long time activist and this album covers a variety of topics including immigration, HIV/AIDS, suicide, sexual violence, sex work and family. It is a powerful tribute to her fans and she wants it to be available to everyone, so pay what you can. You can listen to the podcast here (also available in iTunes).


https://thebicast.org/2016/05/02/american-myth-with-margaret-cho/
Photo Credit: Margaret Cho, margaretcho.com.
Photo Caption: Album cover of Margaret Cho’s American Myth with Margaret Cho in a white and red suit with black boots, lying surrounded by Anna Nicole Smith inpersonators of various genders and ethnicities.


Cho has already released four videos off the album with “Anna Nicole,” “Ron’s Got a DUI,” “Fat Pussy” and the controversial “(I Want To) Kill My Rapist.”, and plans to release more videos in the future.


American Myth is the follow-up to her 2010 Grammy nominated debut album Cho Dependent and is Margaret’s first new music in over 6 years.

“I am extremely proud to release American Myth. This is an album of anthems and showcases my first efforts as a composer. I made it with my longtime collaborator Garrison Starr and an incredible and inspiring crew of artists. It is my glamorous and glittering tribute to family, comedy, anger, fame, gayness, grief, fat pride, love and hate. “

– Margaret Cho


All about the songs in Margaret's own words:

Fat Pussy - My fat pride anthem, which is a glorious and joyous celebration of my body and all female fatness - a love song to my fat.



Beautiful in L.A. - I have always wanted to cover this song, by the amazing Garrison Starr, and she helped me to reinvent it with her stellar production. It's got a real dark swing, bringing in the film noir history of LA into the light.

Anna Nicole  - This is a wonderful collaboration with Garrison Starr and it's a requiem for Anna Nicole Smith that is as beautiful and quirky as she was. It's my version of Candle in the wind, and about the archetype of someone who is too good for this world that exists in all of us.



Gentleman Jim - I wrote this one on my own when I was in Altanta and recorded with Garrison Starr  in Los Angeles. Garrison produced the track. I wanted an old fashioned country track with lap steel and a rise then a descent in the melody. It's kind of a longer 70s country fantasy song, something you could sing on Hee Haw.

Topaz -  is by Edward Herda with my lyrics. I met a young sessions saxophone player in Austin named Topaz. He lived in a gold trailer and he was just perfectly a song in human form. Production again by Garrison Starr in Los Angeles.

Bonus Tracks:

I Wanna Kill My Rapist  - I wanted to have a song that expressed cathartic rage, with the purpose of murdering the memory of sexual abuse so it stops hurting the one who remembers. It's an anthem to healing and the power of anger.

“(I Want To) Kill My Rapist”  

We So Worry - I wrote this song with the wonderful artist Bitch for my parents, and they sing on it! They were extremely nervous, but they are also musicians and complete showbiz professionals so of course they did a great job. This was written and recorded in LA at Ben Lee's studio



Also available in iTunes