Hi folks - as always, thanks for everything you're doing! Busy, busy day on Graham-Cassidy - here's where we are:
- The only true current "no" vote is Sen. McCain. Sens. Paul and Cruz have said they'd vote no but they're actively negotiating to get more out of the bill, and we shouldn't count on them to save the day. We still haven't heard a "no" confirmation from Sens. Collins or Murkowski - signs indicate that Collins will vote no but we need to shore up her and Murkowski to get them to publicly commit to voting against the bill, especially as they're targeted with sweeteners. It's not over until it's over!
- The Graham-Cassidy bill was rewritten overnight...to be even worse. Because of course it was. The bill sponsors rewrote parts of the bill last night to sweeten the pot for Alaska, Arizona, Kentucky, and Maine (to appeal to moderate senators + Paul) AND make it easier for states to waive consumer protections for people with preexisting conditions (to appeal to conservatives). The bill was already worse than prior repeal bills - and now it's worse than ever.
- A vote is expected as early as . As of this email, we're still waiting on a skinny CBO score (just budget, no estimates on coverage losses or effect on premiums), and the Senate Finance Committee held a hearing today, with our amazing friends at ADAPT leading the protest. Sen. Strange is not expected to be back from Alabama until so we don't expect a vote before then. As of now, Republicans in the Senate must pass a bill by to keep the ability to do so by a 50-vote margin. So this is the week: expect a vote between and .
I know we're all exhausted with this fight but we've got to keep it up until - and here are some updated resources to help you keep doing just that. You can always use the SEIU call-in number (1-866-426-2631) and these hashtags (#KilltheBill #VoteNo #ProtectOurCare). Lots of options so please take your pick:
- National HIV Call-In Day . Our friends at AIDS United have organized this day of action for (shareables and sample social media posts attached). Ask your networks to call using 1-866-246-9371. The goal is to get at least 2,000 calls in by - as of earlier today, there were only 47 calls. The number of callers is still way too low and we need to keep pushing for this one last week!
- 1.4 million adults with disabilities would lose Medicaid under Graham-Cassidy. Show some solidarity with our friends at ADAPT (who showed up at the Senate Finance hearing) by highlighting CAP's new data on the impact of the bill on people with disabilities. Sample tweet below or retweet this or this:
- NEW: At least 1.4 MILLION working-age people with disabilities would lose Medicaid under #GrahamCassidy https://t.co/Ca
- USA Today op-ed from a cancer survivor on how bad Graham-Cassidy is.
- New CBS News poll showing that only 20% of people approve of the bill.
- Video from HRC on how repealing the ACA hurts LGBTQ communities.
Overall, we've got to keep making noise and keep the pressure up until . After that, we'll turn back to our regularly scheduled open enrollment programming - so please stay tuned for that!
Thanks for everything you're doing (truly!) and keep it up!
Action Alert Tweets
· 32 million people could lose insurance under #GrahamCassidy! We've Got to #KillTheBill! https://buff.ly/2hfwKre
· Tell your Senator: #GrahamCassidy is a nightmare for people living with HIV! #ProtectOurCare https://buff.ly/2hfwKre
· #GrahamCassidy is the latest attack on health care and must be defeated! #KillTheBill https://buff.ly/2hfwKre
· Action Alert! #GrahamCassidy guts Medicaid. Tell your Senators to #ProtectOurCare by voting NO https://buff.ly/2hfwKre
· Take action: together we can save health care! #HIVResists #GrahamCassidy https://buff.ly/2hfwKre
· #GrahamCassidy is an attack on the health of all Americans, including people living with HIV! #ProtectOurCare https://buff.ly/2hfwKre
· Tell Congress: We won’t let people with HIV be denied coverage because of their status with #GrahamCassidy https://buff.ly/2hfwKre
· ACTION ALERT! Tell Congress not to prioritize politics over the health of people: vote NO on #GrahamCassidy https://buff.ly/2hfwKre
· ACTION ALERT: Tell Congress that #GrahamCassidy hurts people w/chronic conditions including HIV! https://buff.ly/2hfwKre
· Together we can save the #ACA from #GrahamCassidy! Take action https://buff.ly/2hfwKre
· Tell Congress: block granting or per capita caps on Medicaid shortchanges ppl living w/ HIV. #GrahamCassidy https://buff.ly/2hfwKre
· Tell your Senators: #GrahamCassidy would destroy Medicaid as we know it today https://buff.ly/2hfwKre
· Tell Congress: health care cannot have a last-minute fix #GrahamCassidy https://buff.ly/2hfwKre
· Action Alert! #GrahamCassidy would cut up to 34% of health care spending. Tell Congress that #ACA is worth saving. https://buff.ly/2hfwKre
· #GrahamCassidy allows states to gut protections for people with pre-existing conditions. #ProtectOurCare https://buff.ly/2hfwKre
· Senators are trying to repeal the #ACA & replace it with #GrahamCassidy - a nightmare for people living w/HIV https://buff.ly/2hfwKreLearn more at:Out2Enroll.org